Thursday, October 20, 2005

Where Did It Go?

Where did it go? The time that is.

I had big plans for this week. I was going to be home with Donna all week while she did the initial recuperation, so it was the perfect time for a big project. Of course, it was a big project that required several steps to complete and once you started you had to finish. At least every step had to be completed on each part.

So every day this week there were daily events that had to be done. No, they didn't take all day, but did they leave enough time to finish the project if started. I did think of starting this evening on the first step but then I thought I remembered this mornings weather report mentioned the possibility of rain. That wouldn't work, so ... I'll wait until tomorrow.

But then, tomorrow, there are errands to run. And even supplies to be purchased for the project. So I have hopes, but reality sure dashes those hopes.

I also had hopes that a church would reach out and touch me before now. Gratefully (graciously) the Sisters Baptist Church in Sandersville, GA allowed those hopes to be temporarily fulfilled - I could minister, I could work, I could pay bills. But the reality is that this process of being called to serve in a church is a time consuming process. It doesn't eat up days or weeks, but months, if not years. Churches without pastors taking up to 2 and 3 years to find a pastor they feel God is calling to serve them. Pastors/ministers waiting, waiting for the calls and then the questioning, interviewing process of elimination.

Then I think of Don Elbourne and the Lakeshore Baptist Church (not to mention the other many churches and ministers) who were affected by the hurricane Katrina. School going well. The church going well. Ministry being done. Life marching on. And then ... reality. A church scattered, a building destroyed, a school flooded and the reality of life changed overnight. Ministry should continue because in the midst of devastation lives were open to ministry, but where does a minister find his support when his congregation is living all over the country. God is good. Graciously God's people begin to step up. Help and finances begin to arrive. One can see this process chronicled at Don's blog.

So God is good. His grace is sufficient for Don Elbourne and the Lakeshore Baptist Church. God's grace has been and will be sufficient for me and my ministry. We anticipate His provision in the right way and exactly the right time.

As for the project, it may or may not get done, but God is still good. And hope comes as we trust in Him and His grace and goodness.

Where did it go? Well, time slips away. Things either get done or they don't. Most are really unimportant in the grand scheme of things. But hope is there. Grace is there. God is there!

What else matters? So, what does it matter where it went?

No comments:

Custom Search